Made this tile in Substance Designer. One version is just the curvy tile ad infinitum and another version has a border tile. You can see the second version in the Tileable Section. They are white ceramic tiles with some dirt and grease on top. Could be used in a bathroom.
Just started learning some Substance Designer and I'm really loving it. It's technical enough to get my left brain satisfied, but then the right kicks in and the art happens for a great synergy.
After watching a bunch of tutorials and making a couple of basic materials I wanted to try my hand at a custom project. My friend Tyler Sorg was making a car and I saw that he needed a nice carbon fiber material. He was modeling the Koenigsegg One:1 and I took a look at some reference images to familiarize myself with the material. It was a basic weave with, you guessed it, fibers in the threads. Below is the material inside of Marmoset, Some keyshot renders can be seen here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/No4o1, and you can find the car renders from keyshot here... https://www.artstation.com/artwork/J3lRn
Just messin' around with Keyshot and ZBrush. Wanted to practice with ZModeler Brush and ended up making some textures in Keyshot.
Finally had some time to make a stone floor. I created a base mesh in 3DS max using Stone Placement Tool script. Then I brought that mesh into ZBrush and started to sculpt away the hard edges. Then I decimated the mesh and brought it back into max for unwrapping. Various maps were then baked out using xNormal and then I composited them in Photoshop. Could use some more tweaking before I'll consider this done, but this render turned out pretty good so here's a preview.
2k textures rendered in 3DS Max. 3,292 tris and is double sided; as in top and bottom are unique for added modularity.
This piece is really starting to take shape. Finally got all the pieces into Unreal and now I just need to finish up some of the texturing. I've got the door animating but having some trouble getting the blueprint to actually trigger the animations. Hopefully I can render out a video when all is said and done so we can see this bad boy in action.
Learned a ton about dDo this go around and reaffirmed my love of nDo for generating tertiary details on the normal maps. Was fighting with the Quixel Suite for a while, but I think I've got the workflow down now. Well, at least I've got a general idea of what to do. Might not be a perfect workflow, but that will come with more practice.
Well, I guess ArenaNet didn't like my work or I was too late to the party. Either way I got rejected and now I feel horrible. I was really starting to get excited at the prospect of moving out to Seattle to learn more about game design. Time to move on though and hope another opportunity presents itself soon.
On the up side, PAX East 2014 is right around the corner, so at least I've got that to look forward to, and TableTop day is on Saturday.
In other news, here's the pattern I made for the Norn's skirt design. Done in Illustrator in about 2 hours. Had to make up a lot of it since the original concept was obscured quite a bit. Also, I made some fur in Max and rendered out an AO Map and Alpha to use on the back skirt.
Man, this thing is looking sexy now. dDo is such an amazing tool. Really starting to get the hang of it and adding in custom elements. Think I got the glass transparency working too and the dial is definitely looking real sexy. I did the text in Photoshop but had to resort to Illustrator to get the tick marks just right. Now to just get some beauty shots done in Marmoset. Here's a quick peak.